Thursday, March 17, 2011

Every Last Drop.

I'm leaving the city of Siem Reap today. Here is a list of things I noticed and took a liking to that I just half to mention, this doesn't really correlate with any of my entries.. it's almost like


left over blog spew.



Hoards of Sellers: Note to self and those of you who visit Ankgor Wat and the temples anywhere in Siem Reap. Never whip out your wallet (I'm looking at you Sunny!) flashing your money. Once you buy something from one independent seller, they will all mob you asking you to buy their stuff. It's hell to get out of of.


Typical Asian Tourist: Okay, think of all those (you think they'd be racist) cartoons and movies that have the big groups of asian tourist with the ball caps, sun hats, black sunglasses, floral shirts, scarves, and those huge canon cameras strapped around the neck. Korean and Japanese Tour guide to add to the mix. You think these movies exaggerate that. No. NO. I saw it. It was glorious. Which made me think of the ultimate theme party. (Don't you dare steal this idea... Actually.. if you do take pictures and credit me, I'll love you for it [invite me too!]).


Dead skin-eating fish: There are these big aquariums sitting variously throughout the city. They have a kagillion sucker fish ( called Garra Rufa) in them with big booths for people to sit on and dip their feet in. The fish will swarm your feet and eat all the dead skin. This takes approximately 25 minutes for $1 (sometimes with a free tasty beverage). I enjoyed all the signs that said "NO PIRANAS!"



Sugar cane blocks: My little cousin offered me these small soaked yellow pieces of sugar cane. You bite, suck, and spit, suckering up every piece of sweet cane juice there is. It was really tasty, better (but reminded me of) those wax bottles with juice in them.


My dad's haggling abilities: While visiting the old and new market the variety of stuff they sell is so neat: Statues, hookahs, spices, bags, clothes, even small vile' of alcohol with scorpion, alligators, and other weird animals floating in them. As things weren't cheap ($1-$10) enough anyway, watching my dad talk the price down is insane. He's able to talk down a price in half or get a lot more out of it.


Seller: "$15 bucks for this"

Dad: "how about $7"

Seller: "10 is the lowest I'll go

Dad: "What if I buy 2 for $15?"

Seller: "Sold."


Damn Dad! How'd you do that? Apparently he had years of haggling selling veggies as a kid. He looked at me and told me he was a pro. When Sunny and I went later to try the bargaining ourselves... it was a complete failure. They take you more seriously when you can speak fluently. I was only able to get a few dollars off.

No comments:

Post a Comment