Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Park & Celebration of my Grandma


Waking up around 5-6am makes me feel productive and responsible here. (despite the time differences in USA, shut up just give me the benefit of the doubt!) Last night I went with my dad, brother, and two little cousins to check out to the nearest memorial park. It was pretty sweet to see all the kids and tweens running about playing a birdie like game (with rackets) and make shift soccer to the best of their abilities (using a small balled up cloth or whatever they can find that functions like a soccer ball).
Surronding the park is a lot of small food vendors. We had this cool concoction of fresh pure sugar cane drink, it consisted of a straw in a bag with ice and the cane juice. It tasted like super sugary pineapple. Delicious.

I tried to ask Sunny for his opinion and this was his response
"I don't have very good taste buds, I've been masking it with MSG" -Sunny

The following morning we went to go see my grandma and even had a lot more family in town to come celebrate her life. It was like her birthday. All the grandchildren were there to be with her. It was very enlightening and I was glad to be a part of it. The family had spent all morning cooking and preparing a feast for my grandma and the monks that were conducting the ceremony. I don't completely grasp the meditating and bowing but I participated out of respect ( I shall research this later.) I think what it really boiled down too was the appreciation and gratitude to my grandma as a person.


Here's a photo of the ceremony. Sunny video taped the whole thing. Lots of chanting and bowing and prayer.

Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment